Sunday, September 1, 2013

CIEE South Korea 2013

Hey! Guys! I'm back now! And I have to say, I haven't totally divulged in what giant adventure I was preparing for in the last month. And if you didn't read the title~~

I was in South Korea on the 2013 CIEE South Korea Korea Foundation Scholarship.










It was the most exciting, crazy, independent and fun journey I've ever had. I can't even believe I got a spot in the program. I've been interested in South Korean culture for a while now, and I thought I would apply for a couple exchange programs (If they were free to apply I thought, why not?) And while I wasn't accepted for a couple, my parents got a note one day. I excitedly peeked over their shoulders to look at the computer.

I had been put on a wait-list. My heart sunk. I knew if I got excited, I would be setting myself up for a good chance of disappointment. I assumed it would be the end of my journey, but I knew that even being wait-listed was a huge accomplishment.

Well, a couple weeks later, I had spent a week without looking at the computer. I casually turned on the computer and saw there was another email from CIEE saying: We have a spot from you, please email me back before our office closes today or we'll have to give your spot to someone else.

I stared at the letter in shock and joy. I texted all my friends, I gave anybody within 15 feet of me bear hugs until I realized: It was 10 pm were I was, and in Portland, their main offices would most definitely be closed. I felt devastated. We called and called and called and emailed and emailed emailed, with no reply. I went to bed that night with a heavy heart, feeling that I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

The next morning I woke up to my mom on the phone, with a smile on her face. My eyes got wide.

"Am I going?" I mouthed to her. She nodded. My feelings exploded. I spent the next couple weeks in disbelief, that I Carly, would set foot in South Korea. I would actually be there, a place that seemed almost unreal it was so unique. I would get to learn a new language and eat kimchi.

I would be where I could only dream of being.

It was overwhelming.

I spent the weeks preparing for my trip, making maps of the airports, connecting with others from the trip, planning my clothing, and Korean cram lessons. I was so excited. I have to say though, some of my relatives were worried about me, being in a foreign country without any of my relatives. But I knew I was ready for this. I just knew.
And I know this is super cheesy, but the people in my group made the trip what it was. Even then, just talking through the Internet, I felt like we were already friends.

And I can say I didn't  fully realize I was going to Korea until I got on the plane (Well, the series of planes, considering I'm from Alaska).

It was an INCREDIBLE two weeks. I did so much.

 I zip lined, went to a KPOP concert, I went to a cat cafe, shopping in Myeongdong, went to a Buddhist temple, I strolled with he youth in Hongdae, saw the technology of the future at Samsung and saw beautiful traditional temples. I went to noreabang, a board game bang, tried street food, mastered the subway system, bargained in Dongdaemun. I saw a disco bangbang, traveled in the deep country, and I ate more patbingsu than humanly possible and so much more.

I made connections that will last me a life time.

I found a country that I felt like I was meant to be in. I can only hope to return someday. I felt like I should blog about my experiences for you all, so I can share my travels with those interested in the culture as I am! I'm not sure If I'll keep it on this blog or create a new blog to share it on though.

So: more South Korea CIEE blog posts coming up! Prepare yourselves!

And on a final note: It turned out that I was the only wait-listed person to get on the program, and that I was the last person to commit to the program.

Also, It might have been the last year of the South Korea 2 week program.

So potentially I might have been the last person in the history of the program to be accepted.

Words cannot  explain how grateful I am. How much getting in the program meant to me. And there were so many amazing candidates to this program. Every time I think about how lucky I am It just makes me speechless.

Thank you Korea Foundation. Thank you CIEE. I will use these experiences for the rest of my life.

Stay tuned everybody! Korean culture posts coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment