Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Most Useful Phrases for Traveling in Korea



Hey All! Thought I'd write another post about my Korean travels!

Before traveling to Korea, I tried to learn as much Korean as possible. I didn't know just how much freedom we would be allowed on the CIEE program (surprisingly a lot), but I wanted to make sure if I ever got into a sticky situation, or had any misunderstand, I wanted to be sure to know ow to talk my way out of it. Plus, I love language learning, and I wanted to learn as much possible to learn the culture!


So here are some of the most useful phrases, words, and just some speech tips that come to mind.



안녕하세요 ~ AN-NYEONG-HASEYO

Hello!

Formal way to say hello to people!


감사합니다 ~ (G/K)AMSA-HAMNIDA

Thank you

Remember your thank yous!!! Theres a certain tone that goes along with this phrase that can be difficult to master. Its like...kamSA-hamni-DAH. Its hard to explain through text. Go watch youtube videos....


저기요 ~ (C/J)HO-GE-YO!

Excuse me! Hey!

A way to call attention to somebody or get their attention. I actually used this one a lot more than I expected. Useful when asking for help in stores, or asking to clarify things in restaurants. Or trying to get someones attention on the street.


괜찮아요 ~ (GW/KW)IN-CHA-NAYO

Its alright! I'm fine! It's okay!


A useful phrase to turn down things, say you're alright, or something to say when someone is offering you help. (An older lady said this too me when I offered her my seat on the bus. I insisted! :3.)


어서오세요 ~ OH-SO-SE-YO

Welcome!

Just a useful phrase for all you shoppers out there, you will hear this often when walking in shops or restaurants. Offer a head nod.


잠시만요 ~ J(A/U)M-SHI-MAN-YO

One moment! Excuse me! Just a sec!

When passing someone or excusing yourself. Heard a lot on crowded buses -_-


이해가 안 돼요 ~ IHEAGA-AN-DWAEYO

I don't understand.

Even with your super Korean skills there's bound to be at least a couple instances where you might need to learn this. There are so many variations to this phrase but this was just easiest for me to pronounce.


화장실 ~ HWAJANG-SHIL

Bathroom.

Nuff said.


네 ~ (NEH) 아니요 ~ (ANI-YO)

Yes and no!

You can say yes when listening to someone talk to show that you're a good listener!


외국인 ~ WEI-GU-KIN

Foreigner.

You might here this sometimes while walking on the street. 'Oh! Weigukin!' 'Migooksaram!' (American person). Don't take it as an insult. Sometimes seeing a foreigner is surprising in Korea. I could tell you all about Korea's homogeneous society, but I shall spare you. Google it or something. If you hear this, just turn to the person offer a head bow and an 'annyeong!'.


LEARN THE NUMBER SYSTEM. It is REALLY helpful. Especially if you don't want to get ripped off by a cab (even I made mistakes here, getting a cab ride for 10 that I probably could have gotten for 5, oops!) or when haggling in the markets. Sometimes if you're trying to buy something, the person will relay the price to you back in English, sometimes not.

Because its Korea and not everyone speaks English.

If you bargain back using Korean numbers (Il, I Sam) you might be getting a better deal since people might respect that you seem to know what you're doing.

I'd recommend learning both number sets (Hana, Dul, Set) , if you plan to take the subway and just for daily convenience.

While on that 12+ hour plane, try to learn some Hangul (Korean language) as well. Download a good app! It's easier than you think and it's worth it! It's very straightforward and takes maybe a weekend to learn.


There is so much more I could put on here, transportation phrases, getting to know you phrases, restaurant phrases, informal phrases. I think learning a least a little bit of Korean is essential for going to Korea. Understanding the language is part of understanding its culture. In more touristy parts, more people will know English and want to practice with you and there are translations on street signs, but out in the country it can be a little more difficult.


I'm planning to write some more culture posts later to help anybody thats traveling but I guess my biggest trip is...just be thoughtful and understanding of a different culture!


What do you guys think? For all of you that have been to Korea, what were the most helpful phrases that you learned? Do you guys want me to cover anymore Korean topics? Write me in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment