Saturday, May 4, 2013

Foreign Recommendations: What is considered foreign music?

Hello readers! I was just about to write another of my Foreign Pop reviews, but as I was out and about on the Internet researching some new candidates I question popped into my mind.

What is considered foreign music? What defines it?

I would first define it as music that is foreign to the United States but then I found a flaw....

What about the Beatles? Or Abba? Or Avril Lavigne? To the general public, we probably wouldn't consider this foreign music. But then again, all this music is in English.

No, I'm sorry, The Queen, I don't consider One Direction to be foreign music.


So would foreign music include music created in foreign countries that isn't readily available to an American public?

But then what about Korean Pop music which is all about advertising to international countries?

I guess I would describe foreign music as music that shows difference in a cultural standpoint using language and provides a new perspective using pop culture and anything out of the norm with a non-western standard.

Ehh, I guess you can make your own definition for it, I'll just try to do my best to show you some music that hopefully will broaden your horizons (Or at the very least provide some catchy songs to get stuck in your head).

Foreign music, is however the is the biggest lump of a category ever created, nonetheless. The subcategories are absolutely endless, but I just want to celebrate it and bring you some music that you otherwise wouldn't have heard and I'll keep trying to find music that would be lost to the American viewer due to language barriers.

Have a good weekend! If you have any artists you would like me to feature or review please write it in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment