Saturday, March 16, 2013

For those who have just gotten pixie cuts:




YOU DID IT! You got a pixie cut! Good for you and welcome to the club! There’s absolutely nothing like it is there? Bet you’re feeling free aren’t ya ;D Here's a few things to expect you’re still feeling a little strange about your new hair.

1. Don’t worry if you think it looks a little strange at first. I know it’s a little weird to see yourself looking completely different in the mirror but you’ll get used to it eventually. Later on when the shock has died of you’ll find your swing. You just have to get used to it.  Just start trying different ways to style it. I was pretty clueless at first and I thought having a pixie cut meant you never had to style your hair. Wrong wrong wrooong perception!

Notice how small I tried to get the picture.....

YEOW It hurts to look at this. Ugh. This was the first day I had my pixie cut.
 Though one of the pixie cut’s selling feature can be the carefree ease of a wash and wear doo, chances are a little styling will enhance the look a great deal. Try some new things! A new conditioner, shampoo, blow drying, mousse or some straightening.  For me I usually put in a thickening spray and blow dry. Find what works for you!

Me: a year later with better styling techniques

2. Get ready to take in a lot of shock and awe. Take every compliment with a smile but if someone doesn’t agree with your new hair just shake it off.  I was actually told by a couple of boys that I was prettier with long hair and I was even mistaken for a boy by a guy at my school.
OUCH. X_X
That stung. At least he told me that I was a handsome…but still. I was wearing a dress that day!
But really, if some boys were so close minded didn’t like that I had cut my hair short did I really care about their decision? NAAH. That just made me realize who the accepting interesting guys were.


3. Ditch the sweatpants.  Having a pixie cut will probably naturally your style will change as it does naturally. Prior to having a pixie cut I had more of a street like style and wore sweats to school at least once every week.
But after having a pixie cut, I never could afford to wear them anymore. I believe that’s probably a good thing though as instead, I learned to dress for my body type. Even though my hair was short I started feeling more inspired to dress more feminine.

4. Start paying more attention to eyebrows. My bangs disguised my eyebrows before I got a pixie cut, but afterwords I discovered that they were uneven and patchy. Watch tutorials! Use pencils! Wax! Wax!
Helpful Diagram
Why eyebrows are important...




5. Remember to go for upkeep. A pixie cut is generally a very structured style and you will have to go for trims more often so it doesn’t get wonky.

6. Browsing Pintrest is a great way to get some styling ideas! Here's mine if you are interested! 



Oh! I’m so proud of you! Wear it with confidence! 

3 comments:

  1. JUST got a pixie cut 2 days ago! A bit different from yours because although we both have short brown hair, mine is very curly (not nappy though). I kind of deflated when I read #1 on your post, but ya know what? I'm excited to see what I can do with my new hair after having it long all my life. Right now I style it so that I have tiny bangs touching my forehead in some places and standing up in others (sounds messy, but it works with voluminous curly hair). I found that if I put in a bow, flower, or other hair accessory, my pixie cut can make me look even more feminine than the long, straightened/heat-styled hair most girls seem to be sporting these days. Not hating on their hair, but really--is it such a crime to keep your hair natural, or deviate from the standard style that magazines claim is sexiest? I'ma do my own thang. Thanks for sharing, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!!! That sounds totally cute! I think that pixie cuts have great versatility, maybe even more versatility than long hair! And I totally get what you mean, I think that its an old fashioned notion that only long hair is beautiful. There's so much other fun things to do with your hair! Congrats on the pixie cut I know you'll rock it!!!! :D!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    Thank you for blogging about your pixie cut(sorry for commenting on an old post). I just got a pixie cut two days ago . I was nervous at first . I have had long hair for awhile. After it was cut, I felt good. I like the way I look with my new hair . My parents were not too happy . I agree with the whole feeling of being inspired to dress more feminine . The right guy will not care how long or short your hair is . He will care and love the person you are . After I started to think will any guy find me attractive or even feminine . The right guy will love me for me. Go pixies!!!

    ReplyDelete