Sunday, March 31, 2013

Growing out a pixie cut: Beiber cut and Inbetween stage



For those growing out pixie cuts:

I’m finally growing out my pixie cut. Its been a good run, and I don’t doubt that someday I’m going to be chopping of my hair again, but for the meantime, I've decided that its time for a change and I’m going to be taking on the daunting task of growing it out.

Me a couple years ago before my pixie cut.

OH, how I long for the feeling of long hair able to be put in a pony tail again. It's getting hard not to feel frustrated when I see my friends rocking cool styles like shoulder length ombre and silky top knots when my hair feels like it growing like a snail.  

If you’ve been researching growing out pixie cuts you probably have heard about the Bieber stage (which I was at while beginning to write this), but I’m now pretty much at the Inbetween stage (one of the most awkward stages of all). I liked the Bieber stage too, I think it put a lot of emphasis on my eyes. Plus when you're at the Bieber stage, if you put enough texture or curl into into it, it can still come off as a regular pixie cut.


                                                                  And yes that is Pikachu.

Prior to my Bieber cut I had grown out my hair for a total of four months, but as luck had it I went at a new hairdressers going for a back trim and ended up with the shortest pixie cut I had ever had, AUGH. That was frustrating. But I’ll talk about that in a different post. Heres the link if you want to hear the story. This is where I'm at now:


 



Some tips for being halfway there:

1. Research, research and research! Find styles in which would make good transitions and that you wouldn’t mind. Look on Youtube, Pintrest, Google Images, haircut websites, anywhere really! If you come across anyone else pulling off a good inbetween pixie cut ask them for tips! Also: Its an odd suggestion, but go to google translate and type "very short hair" or "short bob" in other languages and google it. You can find some pretty cool stuff that wouldn't have found before! Also I've gathered up all the websites and videos that I think would be helpful when growing out a pixie cut and I'll link it to you here





     


Searched in Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Thai!

2. AVOID THE MULLET AT ALL COSTS. I know how it feels, I KNOW you want any length your hair gives you. But trust me. No mullet. Let your hair grow on the sides of your head and wait for the back to catch up. The bangs are your own decision but I like to keep them long.


3. Keep some volume around the crown of your head and try working with a more wavy texture in your hair. Having flat hair (Like me unfortunately) can make your hair look a little off. If this happends just use some baby powder, dry shampoo or any product that adds volume. Adding more texture can make things even out a bit. 

4. Distraaaact! Hmm. I know that sounds a little desperate but nice scarfs, headbands and earring can really save you from a bad hair day. If you use makeup, try to highlight your eyes more so they really pop! So even if you are having a hair day so awful that its legendary people will still think Wow! That girl with terrible hair has really pretty eyes!

5. Expect to have some bad hair days. Its inevitable that some days it just won’t fall right. On these days:
Try to pull back your hair in a sleek style or using clips to pin up your bangs, making the sides of your hair look longer. Maybe try a middle part!
Or try tucking one side behind your ear and giving the other side a lot of volume by back combing or product for a cool asymmetrical look. I like to do this when my hair is flat and dull. It looks a little like this!



When your hair grows out you will probably have to experiment with a couple styles before you find your swing. Be creative! Heres another post on styling pixie cuts if you need any more suggestions.  Or just don a bow on the offending side! Problem solved! 

8. Don’t get frustrated! You’ll get there!  

9. Be very straight forward with your hairstylist. Continue to get your haircut (I know that sounds crazy, just trust me) but specify what you want. Tell them you want to grow out your hair and don't want any length of the sides. It just looks better when you have a shape to for your hair to grow into. Be firm, polite and trust yourself.

Good luck! I'll update you again later!

Check out the next pixie cut episode here!



4 comments:

  1. Ha! The dreaded Bieber stage, my mom always laughs when I call it that. I decided to grow my hair out after 4 or 5 years with a pixie, and it is frustratingly slow. Your hair looks quite cute! I also love the short, bobbed style with the little braid you found.
    Good Luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate my pixie at the moment, im growing it out and its so flat and plain! i get bored really easily hence the growing it out. I love your bob thing you've got going on in those pictures, i think I'm going to have to go get some layers and shorter bangs cut. Hopefully it will look as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much!!!! Good luck to you too!!! And i definitely agree that layers help create texture and interest in awkward stages of hair, and short bangs will help to create an illusion of length on the side. Good luck to you both!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! This was a lot of help.

    ReplyDelete