Friday, March 15, 2013

If you're thinking about getting a pixie cut



Even if getting a pixie cut was just a passing thought in your mind, even if you don’t think you’re brave enough, even if your friends tell you that you wont look good and especially if you are told that you don’t have the right face shape.

I was there too, approximately a year ago. Googling pixie cuts checking every blogger that had one (Especially the inspiring post by Stefanie Dmas (Check it out!)  and was constantly discouraged. I looked nothing like there girls with pixie cuts, my face shape was different, my style wasn’t as girly (boy did that change!) and my friends weren’t too excited about this big change. When I told my mom about wanting to get a pixie cut, even she nervously suggested a bob instead.

To be honest, I was terrified. There was only one other girl with short hair in my school and so many questions were running in my mind. What is my head was lopsided or if I looked like a guy? What about my dream of having long hair the went past my back? What if it was a mistake and everybody disliked it?

I went though with it though, because I decided that looking the same as everyone else wasn’t for me.
I’m different, and I’ve never tried to be like anyone else. In middle school rocking rainbow knee socks and giant chunky headbands, or in freshman year dressing like a punk. Just that month ago I was contemplating dying my hair pink or shaving one side. I had no need to feel that I fit in. I really could care less about following trends (which in that time was a pony tail and wearing ankle socks with sports sandals). I wasn’t a Brand-Namer and I wasn’t a follower.

The truth was: I loved the attention that dressing uniquely gave me, and I loved everything that cutting your hair stood for.  That long hair didn’t define me as woman
I defined myself as woman. Only me. Because what was underneath it there was somebody pretty cool. 
I’m not saying that I don’t have hair envy some days when I see what cool things you can do with long hair but I absolutely don’t regret cutting my hair.


As soon as my hairdresser turned the chair around I saw a new me. I was barely recognizable. I could finally see my face. My eyes were big and I had a long neck and the pixie cut showed them off so much better.
The best part about it was probably everybody’s surprised looks the next day. I felt people looking. I was recognizable. People who didn’t even know me were smiling at me and complimenting my hair.

I’m not saying it  was all positive. I could tell that my close friend still really wasn’t thrilled my decision, and not everybody has positive things to say about my new hair.
That didn’t get me down though and rightly so. I didn’t mind that my friend was honest and the benefits outweighed the negatives.

When you decide to take the plunge, don’t go to the salon unprepared. You should definitely start getting some pictures for your hairdresser, or at least start collecting pictures for inspiration and approximate length. For me I was mostly inspired by Carrie Mulligan
                                                                    
So bold! Emma Watson took a risk and it paid of beautifully!
So lovely! Carey Mulligan is my style guru.
  As I got used to my pixie cut  I discovered that I liked longer and more shaggy looking ones. Like so~
Whether you like or dislike twilight great hair is great hair -_-


Know your life will be changed. For the good of it. People with look. You will be unique, and you will be brave.

Don’t think “I wish I was brave enough”. Know that you are brave enough.

Please, if you are thinking about getting a pixie cut, I know you won’t regret it. Let haters hate.  Do it to celebrate life. Do it to celebrate freedom. Do it for yourself.  Inspire others. The freedom that you can gain from this is unexplainable. Go for it. Hair is just hair.  I think you’re awesome and I know you can do it. Good luck and just remember:



                                                  
If you are researching cuts: check out these bloggers and websites who helped me decide!



12 comments:

  1. I like your cut! You carried it really well. However, my hair is too thin for it, also my hairline parts in e centre, it's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very very much! And my hair was actually thin and damaged before I cut it into a pixiecut. Cutting it short helped my hair grow back thicker and healthier. I can understand your concerns though and I would say to trust your personal intuition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair looks beautiful on you!! Thinking of getting a pixie myself, and came across your blog. EVERYONE is telling me not to get one, but I've wanted one for more than 10 years now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it girl!!! A lot of people opposed to me getting a pixie cut have commented that they liked my hair short better after all XD. If you ever get a pixie cut tell me how it works out!

      Delete
  4. I just got my hair cut into a Emma Watson style and I absolutely adore it. I've always had the long kinda hair that everyone seems to have, and after a complete bleach earlier in the year and then putting in a brown colour later, my hair was damaged. Like, I would brush my hair and it would just fall out in handfuls, so I was so ready to get it cut, and I just thought that Emma looked so gorgeous, so I went to a great salon and got the best haircut I've ever had! Like you, I can finally see my face and I'm also blessed with a long neck and big eyes, and I really think that the pixie cut enhances all those features. I don't think I'm going back to long hair. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for you :D!!!! I feel the same way!!!! I have a bob now but prior to that I had my hair a little past my shoulders and it just didnt flatter my face. Great for you!!!!!! I'm glad the world has one more gorgeous pixie <3

      Delete
  5. Hiya! I'm also around your age haha :) you look incredible! i completely relate to you about always wanting to be different, and, until a few days ago the idea of getting a pixie just seeped into my brain and i cant help but wonder and worry whether or not it'd be a good idea to get such a daring cut (seeing as i have a horrible history of bad haircuts and my apprehension is thus heightened) and then i came upon your wonderful blog! so the thing is, im very very hesitant to trust someone or anyone to cut my hair. like, should i go to a nice expensive salon or one of those sensible, family friendly salons? im the kind of gal who is very conscious about what i look to other people, and i guess all im asking is what is your advice to my worrisome mind? i realize your not a professional or anything, but my family and friends are likewise apprehensive of me getting a cut so advice from them will only be DONT DO IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, what a great question!!!! While having a pixie cut I've had positive and negative experiences at both kinds of places. But here's a tip: if you see another girl with a fabulous pixie cut, ask her where she goes. Then you know that the hairstylist is experienced. I would also try to ask your close friends and check out yelp reviews for places in your area. Family friendly or trendy, which ever one has the greatest review wins!!! And I know what you mean about bad haircuts, I've had a couple disastrous experiences as well that scared me off for getting a haircut for months. I think they're part of life though and I haven't had a problem now that I found the right place :) Best of luck to you!!!!

      Delete
  6. I'm thinking about getting a pixie cut. Right now I have shoulder length, thick hair. Do pixie cuts look good on people with thick hair? :( Also thinking about dying it lavender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!!!!! I've been recently thinking about dying my hair Lavender as well!!!! I think that pixie cuts look very very good on people with thick hair, because it really lets the layers shine through with a structured cut! I think that styling a pixie cut will be very fun and versatile for someone with thick lavender hair! I'm so excited for you!!! I hope that you go through with it!

      Delete
  7. WOW, you are a knockout with a pixie cut! I admire you SO MUCH for getting it done! I've been considering it for maybe a month (I have hair halfway down my back), and I entered the mad Pinterest/research stage a few days ago. My issue is that I really love mixing it up with my hair, and I feel like I couldn't do that if it was short. Have you had any styling challenges?

    chromobeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had been thinking about getting a pixie for a while now, so last night I was looking up stuff about them and came across your blog post. I shared it on my Facebook page and decided I was getting one. My friend who usually cuts my hair was in town this week, so today I went to her and had her give me a pixie. And I LOVE it!!!!! It is the best haircut I've ever had! And everything you said in your post could have come right out of my mouth! Thank you for writing this post! It gave me the final push I needed to get a pixie and again, I love it! It feels so free and beautiful and I am just in love with it!

    ReplyDelete