Thursday, April 4, 2013

Foreign pop recommendations: Canadian pop Coeur de Pirate review.



Don’t know what to listen to next on your ipod? Tried all your Pandora stations? Why not try some foreign music? No, I’m not talking about obscure drum sounds with chanting, or any old Portuguese jazz. I’m talking about Foreign pop!

I love foreign pop, my ipod is loaded with the stuff. Someday it would be really cool to have a position on the radio station so I could share it all with listeners, or own a coffee shop and subject coffee-goers to my music choices (squeal!).  There are so many good artists, too many to explain in one post. In my upcoming posts, I’ll try to explain them, one artist at a time

Lets start with one of my personal favorite artists:

Coeur De Pirate! (aka, Heart of Pirate in French)


Orgin: Montreal (MY CITY!!!!!!!)

Language: Quebecois (French, Quebec dialect)

Style of music: Indie pop

For fans of: Lily Allen, Adele, Lenka, and others with similar vocal styles. 

Good for:  Listening to in coffee shops, art inspiration, sweet french breakups. 

Mainstreamabilty: 10/10!

When ever I am in an artsy like mood I always listen to Coeur de pirate. She has a style of music that is sweet and easy to multitask too. And plus, she speaks my language!!!! WOO! She also has some English music too, but the majority of it is Quebecois.
 I love the catchiness of her music and if you don’t happen to speak French, you should really take the time to look up her lyrics in English because they are really witty and smart.

I first heard of her from her single Adieu. A sweet song (And odd...err..explosive music video) about Coeur de pirate leaving a guy who tries to make her jealous and treats her badly, regardless of his attempts to make her feel guilty about it by reminding her of all the memories that they shared. Perfect for breakups! Plus I love her outfits in this music video. She has great style.


Another great songs of hers is called Golden Baby. But if you ask me what its about, I couldn't tell you.  The lyrics are talking about another dumb guy doing her wrong, but she didn't see it at first because her love was blinded. But the music video is just....super odd. I suggest listening to it without the music video. In fact, I never usually like Couer de Pirates music videos. This one is just kind of random.
(Unless there's some deep symbolism that I'm not getting)

It shows her and her friends just going around breaking and entering in different places making messes. And then Couer de pirate makes a gumball machine explode again? Does she just have magical wizard powers that make things explode with her mind? And then.....the northern lights talks to her.

Hmm. Yeah, I have no clue what to say about the music video, but without it, its such a sweet song. Here's the music video anyways if you're okay with super weirdness. 


Another thing I like about Couer de Pirate is that her songs are very consistent (to my knowledge) All of her songs seem to have the some sweet flow. This is my favorite song Pour un Infidele (aka, to unfaithful-person) featuring Julien Dore. As you can guess, it's another song about a rat who was doing her wrong by cheating on her. I actually like the music video for this one too. It's all retro style and whatnot in black and white film style. Artsy, and adds something to the song.



I feel like Coeur de Pirate could easily be mainstreamed because of her easy listening type music. Her style is relaxed and familiar with some American pop. There's a good chance your friends will like it and even though I don't love all of her music videos, there really isn't a song of hers that I dislike.

Do any of you know any foreign pop you'd like me to write about? Any country you'd like me to start with? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment