Sunday, April 14, 2013

Foreign pop recommendations: K-Pop Korean hiphop B.A.P review

WAARRIOR. HUAH.

Hey everybody! This is the THIRD post I've written this weekend. Woah. I have a life, I promise! I've just been sick this weekend (Nothing serious, just the flu) and I thought what better to spend all my free time bloggin away!

Okay: B.A.P. I was hesitant to do a K-Pop review, because I kind of have some conflicting feelings about it (Oooh, good future blog post idea! I have to remember that), since believe it or not, Kpop does not really represent all Korean music, but B.A.P is hardly Kpop.
Not to say that I don't like some Kpop.
I first discovered it about a year ago, when one of my friends (who's Korean) was dancing to it on her computer. I had never seen a thing before. Shiny perfect looking people dancing in colorfully lit rooms to extremely catchy songs. It was different and cool. I asked her what it was called and she said
"Kpop" and I asked her

'What does the K stand for?"

So much facepalm going on here
That's when she first showed me Gangnam style too. It wasn't popular back then and I thought it was just extremely strange (Yet amazing and catchy).

That's when I noticed that Kpop was showing up on my Pandora station. It was just super fun and outlandish. Before I would have described it a mix between 90'd boy bands and Rhianna.
But nowadays they're really isn't much Kpop I listen to. I usually like more hiphop type sounds like Gdragon or Epik high and maybe some random ones that my friend shows me. I found B.A.P all on my own, a group that is definitely unique.

B.A.P

(Otherwise known as 비에이피, Best Absolute Perfect, or Blond Asian People. With members YongGuk, HimChan, DaeHyun, YoungJae, JongUp and Zelo)

Orgin: Korea

Language: Korean 

Style of Music: Hiphop, rap, heavy Metal

For Fans of: Hard rap, death metal type fans

Good for: Workout music, Head banging, Pillow punching moods, Really angry music for when someone breaks up with you

Mainstreamabily: 4/10 (I'm sorry B.A.P, I've just never heard music similar and popular in my area)

While a lot of the K-Pop songs that i've heard are about 'I want to be your boyfriend/girlfriend' and 'we should get back together so I can be your boyfriend/girlfriend agian' and 'even though you have a boyfriend/girlfriend, you should dump his bum so I can be your boyfriend/girlfriend'

(*Not that that's a bad thing, I like that kind of music sometimes too, I would say of American pop 100% is the same way or even more. All Kpop is different. Love is always a popular theme with music and that's how it's always been. Just like anywhere else, some music is good and some music is not. And not all Kpop is that way either, a large amount of songs do have very meaningful and emotional and truthful music please Kpop fans please please don't strangle me)

B.A.P takes more of the approach of "I WILL SMASH YOUR SNUGGLY BOYFRIEND IN TO THE GROOOOUUUND." And I liked it. It was aggressive, it was different, it was unforgiving, It was energetic. But honestly the first thing I thought of them were
"Omg! They're all blond!"


This is the first music video I saw them in. Called "Warrior". And I'm sorry, B.A.P, but I just was really couldn't get over the fact of all of you were rocking blond hair. It just looked so strange to me. At first it was shocking, but I got used to it after a while. I started looking past that and then I realized they they were amazing dancers and had a lot of talent. The really fast rap in this one was really impressive. Also, considering this was their first music video,  their confidence and passion was spectacular. They all have very unique and different styles of rapping or singing, but they come together perfectly!


This one is called "No Mercy". It's the one that really made me interested in their music. It was another oddly lit dancing type video decked out in aluminum foil walls, with some wild, interesting outfits and a bombastic sound that seemed to  characterize B.A.P. Plus it had the most ridiculous misheard lyrics video. And now I can't hear it any other way.

And then on to their latest music video: One Shooot!


Holy crabs that's a long music video! It is also the most plot-revolved one of the bunch too. And surprise :D No more blond! The music video was a little confusing at first (with two endings and all) But it definitely was the most sophisticated. Its really good workout music too. I like to listen to it while going on runs, because it makes me feel super dramatic. I think this is they're best music video/song yet though.

Honestly, I hope your taste is like mine, because I don't really have any friends who like B.A.P's sound.  Not that its a bad thing, because it has a veeery different sound of the music that they are used to listening too. One thing I do think is a little odd that they seem to have a bunny mascot representing them in some videos. Which really isn't....the epitome of masochism. But whatevs. S'all good y'all.

EDIT: I actually got a chance to see BAP in concert in Korea, you can read about it here

So that was my review! Thank you for checking my blog out! If they're are any other Foreign pop songs that you'd like me to review tell my in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment